I recently had a mess up in which I lost my save game for Dark Souls II. So I borrowed a save game from my son. This isn’t trivial to do, as the save game is locked to the steam account. In order to get the game to recognized the borrowed save game do the following:
Note: The save game location for Dark Souls II is %APPDATA%\DarkSoulsII\XXXXXX\DARKSII0000.sl2 where XXXXXX is a bunch of numbers, likely associated with your Steam account.
- Backup your save existing save game if you have one.
- Launch the game, and choose Continue. (If you do not have a current game you may have to make a new character; as soon as you are past the intro video and can run around, quit to the main menu, and select continue.)
- At the screen which you select which character to load, alt-tab out of the game.
- Copy the new save game over top of your existing one in the save game location.
- Try to load any save game, and you will get an error: Failed to load Character data.
- Click Ok, and you will be taken back to the character selection screen.
- You should now see the characters from the imported save game.
- Try to load one, and you will get the same error.
- Go back to make screen and choose New Game. Exit to the main screen once you are past the intro video and can run around.
- Choose Continue.
- You should now be able to load the imported character.
- Do a fast travel to force the game to save.
Ok, here is the undocumented (until now) part. How to rename your Dark Souls II character. I could not find any info online on how to do this. I am certain I am not the first to figure it out, but I figured I would document how to do it as it seems like many are trying to figure this out.
- Your save game is encrypted (I think), so a hex editor won’t work, I have tried.
- Download Cheat Engine from http://www.cheatengine.org/. Don’t worry, we aren’t going to be cheating. I believe you can cheat with this tool, but as lame as it sounds, you are only cheating yourself. Install the tool.
- Launch Dark Souls.
- Load your save game.
- Make sure you do not have any in game menus up.
- Alt-Tab out of the game.
- Launch the Cheat Engine tool.
- File->Open Process
- Select DarkSoulsII.exe
- Change Value Type to String
- Check ‘Unicode’ checkbox.
- In the Value field, enter the exact name of the character you are currently playing as.
- Click First Scan button.
- You should see results in the left pane. Usually three results should be returned. (There will be more if you are in the pause menu).
- Right click on the first result, and choose ‘Change value at selected address’, and enter the new name you want to use. It has to be the exact same number of characters/letters as the existing name.
- Repeat for all the other instances found. When I changed first location, nothing happened, but when I changed 2nd location, both first and second changed. Just be safe, do the step to all instances.
- Return to the game, and go to the Player Info screen. You should see your new name.
- Trigger a save, by travelling at a bonfire… or dying if you prefer.
- Congrats, your name is changed.
Hope this helps someone.